Serendipity Crew Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Serendipity Crew Forum

Skyeblue is your Master

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Carpentry

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tomrizzo
Legendary
Tomrizzo

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2007-05-12

Carpentry Empty
PostSubject: Carpentry   Carpentry Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2007 2:25 am

So as always, I the benevolent and sometimes humorous Tomrizzo have a chance to impart even MORE knowledge to the rest of you. Rather than type out all the information here, I'll just redirect you to some guides that are rather helpful. I cannot be as thorough with this guide as I was with sailing or bilging or gunning, because unlike those duty puzzles, so much of carpentry relies on your knowledge and luck of getting the pieces you need.

Any Suggestions?
But of course! This is all I can tell you, because it is how I got my Ultimate.

1) Build from the corners in. Opinion

2) Grasp a strong understanding of the piece frequency. (Based on the number 95....dunno why, just others who puzzle too much know it)

3) When you get the piece needed to finish a Masterpiece, DO NOT put it in until you have too, i.e. the pieces are shaking (about to be wasted) This will delay your combo and enivitably be better for your score overall.

Quote :
The Masterpiece be the highest scoring of all available bonuses. If ye have a choice in getting a Masterpiece, Grain Bonus or Set Bonus ye should always go for the Masterpiece especially since the Masterpiece Bonus is cumulative. Ye should always work towards a Masterpiece.

Piece Frequency and Style Guide

Official YPPedia Article

Scarymuffin Carpentry Video At least you can see someone do it.

I'm sorry if this guide wasn't as helpful as the others, Carpentry is a little touchy towards the "Luck" side rather than the "Skill" of the player, but there is a certain level of skill involved in Carpentry.
Back to top Go down
Crabcake
Awesome Admin
Crabcake

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2007-05-10

Carpentry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carpentry   Carpentry Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 9:33 am

So I have been thinking about carp lately.
Often you will find yourself with a hole that can only be filled with 2 specific pieces. For the purpose of argument lets say one is a common piece and one is a rare piece. You just recently got the common missing piece in your toolbox. DO NOT place it! Let is sit in your toolbox until the puzzle is falling apart. This increases the chances of the rare piece showing up in time.

Also something that helps me. I try to only work on 2 carp puzzles at once. Not all 4. If all 4 get filled in equally, you may find yourself with 4 specific final pieces for all 4 puzzles. And knowing life and all you won't have any.
Back to top Go down
http://www.livejournal.com/users/mouse2cat/
Crabcake
Awesome Admin
Crabcake

Carpentry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carpentry   Carpentry Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 1:05 am

Tomrizzo wrote:

3) When you get the piece needed to finish a Masterpiece, DO NOT put it in until you have too, i.e. the pieces are shaking (about to be wasted) This will delay your combo and enivitably be better for your score overall.

I am confused as to why I should wait to complete my masterpieces. I understand if you are waiting for a piece to complete a masterpiece but delay increases your score? How can you be sure? I need to sharpen my carp skills as I have dropped down to GM in my negligence.
Back to top Go down
Tomrizzo
Legendary
Tomrizzo

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2007-05-12

Carpentry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carpentry   Carpentry Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 12:31 am

Not sure why to be honest Crabcake, I pretty much stole my guide entirely from here. This is the method I used to learn Carpentry/get Ultimate.

To quote why...
Master Hawkings wrote:

Now that ye know this ye should use that knowledge and take full advantage of each hole. If ye are within two pieces of completing a master piece and you have one of them in your toolbox try to save that piece as long as ye can before placing it to maximize yer chances on completing it fer a Masterpiece. If ye delay, ye can have up to twelve turns fer the right piece to turn up. With this many pieces ye are all but guaranteed the right piece and if ye plan yer hole correctly ye’ll you’ll be able to use multiple pieces in conjunction with the one in yer toolbox already to complete the Masterpiece.
Back to top Go down
Crabcake
Awesome Admin
Crabcake

Carpentry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carpentry   Carpentry Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 7:29 am

Master Carpenter Hawkings wrote:
Mates if ye be like me ye often booch the placement of a piece because yer moving so fast. One trick that all aspiring carpenters need to learn is that ye can pick up the last piece ye played as long as it didn’t finish a hole. Just select it again. At this point ye can only shift it around a bit but if ye booch a hole inadvertently ye me be able to move it enough to correct the booch, reposition the grain or even take advantage of a piece that just appeared in yer toolbox. Just make sure ye get it right the second time as ye can only pick it up again once and only if ye haven’t selected a piece in yer toolbox. This can be very handy fixing a booch or completing a Masterpiece.

WTF GUYS WTF! I ALWAYS booch my pieces
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Carpentry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carpentry   Carpentry Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Carpentry
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Serendipity Crew Forum :: Puzzle tips?-
Jump to: